Monday, August 30, 2010

Stuffed corn muffins-revisited

I made these muffins a few weeks back. They were really simple but I knew I wanted to make a couple of adjustments.  I'd used coconut oil, didn't like it, gave an unusual taste.  Tonight I revisited the stuffed muffin.  Back to school is looming on the horizon here and frankly, I need to go grocery shopping so this is creative cooking week! 



1 cup cornmeal


1/2 cup flour *

1/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 cup milk **

2 tablespoons vegetable shortening, melted***

* I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten free all purpose flour

** I subbed in vanilla Rice milk, I only had vanilla on hand, you could not tell I used flavored milk.

*** I melted Earth Balance this time, much happier with the result.


Sift and mix the dry ingredients.

Add the milk and melted butter. After I mixed the wet into the dry ingredients I added my precooked sausage, frozen corn about 1-2 cups cooked, rinsed black beans and gave it a stir.


Pour into greased muffin tins (I used muffin papers) and bake at 350F for 30 minutes.

The result was a muffin that reminded all of us of tamales, very moist, very dense and very filling.  I will be making and freezing a batch of these before the back to school rush takes over my brain.  To round out the meal I made a very simple salad (I told you I need to go grocery shopping!) and dressed it with a lime tomatillo dressing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Input? Feedback? I'd love to hear from you!