Monday, August 23, 2010

Banana mango muffins


Yesterday was baking day.  Inspired by Shannon, the bento Mom I decided to bake some muffins that I could freeze and have for the boys' lunches which I will soon be packing.  I went with a recipe I found on Ellen's blog for Banana Mango Muffins.  I only needed a few small adjustments, mainly because I didn't have the specific ingredients she wrote into the recipe.  The result was a delicious, moist muffin that my entire household of boys gobbled up.  Truth be told, I should have made a double batch!
Mini muffin
I used some of the batter to bake these adorable mini muffins.  Those are the ones currently resting in my freezer to be used in lunch boxes in two weeks.  They perfectly bite sized and totally nummy!

Big brother muffin
I also went the traditional muffin route.  They turned out perfect!  I'm so happy to find this recipe.  I will be using the base recipe time and time again I think and altering what fruits I add.  I can see apple and cinnamon muffins.  Cranberry walnut muffins.  Peanut butter and banana muffins.  The variations are endless! 

I did make a few minor modifications, I did not have coconut sugar, so I used regular old white sugar.  I also have not invested in the egg replacer powder so I used 1/4 cup of silken tofu.  Not having vanilla stevia I used 1 teaspoon of agave and I did use the melted coconut oil, it was one of the options listed as an alternative to grapeseed oil.  I omitted the walnuts because we are a nutfree school and I wanted to be able to use these in Paulo's lunch.  If I were making them for weekend munching only though I would totally add in the nuts! Even without the walnuts though the muffins are very satisfying.  Just sweet enough, but not too sweet, and you get a lot of fresh fruit flavor in each bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Input? Feedback? I'd love to hear from you!