Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Adventures in gluten free baking-the pancake edition

Paulo is a pancake fiend.  Ever since he could eat solid foods he has had a love affair with pancakes the likes of which have not been seen by many.  He could easily put down an adult size portion of pancakes when we go out to breakfast.  Imagine his dismay when we discovered that pancakes-at least in the traditional sense-were off limits during  the elimination period. 

I set off to try to find an acceptable alternative to my usual whole wheat, buttermilk, pancakes.  I've tried four different recipes so far, one was so bad I poured out the batter, another was OK but a little on the bland side, plus flat, very, very flat.  The corn cakes were a flop too, they were like eating little rubber discs.  The final attempt was.................
                          Pancake Nirvana!

I googled vegan pancakes and found this recipe.  It was really simple, required ingredients that I already have on hand and only minor gluten free adjustments. 

Ingredients:
1 ripe banana, mashed
2 cups water
1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
vanilla extract, to taste (optional)

Mix together the mashed banana and water.  Add the dry ingredients and mix, leaving lumps in the batter.  Cook and enjoy.

The recipe above states it could be used for either pancakes or waffles.  I had greater success on pancakes.  I don't have any cooking spray to use on the waffle iron, I just use olive oil brushed on the plates, and with the banana in the mix they would not release well.  I modified the above slightly, I actually used 1/2 water and 1/2 almond milk.  I also used Bob's Red Mill multi purpose GF flour in place of the whole wheat flour.  These were a huge hit!  Both my boys ate seconds...and thirds....I'm really happy to find a pancake recipe that tastes and feels the same as before.  They're light, fluffy and completely satisfying.  We will definitely be seeing these again...and again....and again in our kitchen!

5 comments:

  1. But how is this gluten free? It has oats which have gluten. Did you remove those?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I buy the certified gluten free oats. From what I understand, the oats themselves are gluten free but get contaminated in the processing. Bob's Red Mill has their GF oats, the brand I bought escapes me, but is labeled as GF>

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I'd make these right now, but I have no banana!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! I had no idea Bob had gluten free oats. Or I would be making a lot of other dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you can't find them in your local store and don't want to buy a case of 4 I can send you some!

    ReplyDelete

Input? Feedback? I'd love to hear from you!