Sunday, October 10, 2010

Marinated beet salad


Six beets
1/2 red onion, slivered
1 serrano chile, thinly sliced
1/4 cup cilantro

Cook the beets in a pressure cooker. Seven minutes at full pressure cooks them perfectly.  Allow to cool and remove the skins.  Quarter and place them in a non reactive bowl.  Add the chile, onion and cilantro.

In a separate bowl combine the following:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
juice of 1/2 lime

Whisk together and pour over the beet salad stirring well to coat.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 5-8 hours. 

I made this last night for my husband's birthday dinner, it went over very well, not a single beet was left over!  Beets are one of those veggies that can be difficult to get into your diet even though they are really good for you, you either love them or hate them.  I was never a fan to be honest.  I now enjoy them juiced with carrots and ginger or grated on salad.  This might be my new favorite way to eat them. 

4 comments:

  1. That was delicious! I'm definitely going to give that a try at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMMM,..what a tasty, fab & appetizing beet salad!!

    I love beets so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're such an under appreciated veggie aren't they?!

    ReplyDelete

Input? Feedback? I'd love to hear from you!