Monday, October 25, 2010

Three bean chile


My plan was to come here and tell you how fabulously easy it is to cook beans in the pressure cooker.  Sounds easy enough...on paper.  I was reminded Saturday about the most important rule in cooking with a pressure cooker, make sure you have enough liquid in the pot!  I had originally started the garbanzo in the pressure cooker after reading about that in my Cooking Light magazine.  An hour or so later I smelled it, the unmistakable scent of burnt food.  Ugh!  Still trying to get that pot clean!  So plan B: my crock pot. 

Into the crock pot I placed small red beans, pink beans (I believe maya cobas) and a fresh cup of garbanzo.  I cooked those on low for 6 hours on high for 1.  After they were done the real fun began!

Three bean chile
Approximately three cups of assorted beans, cooked
1/2 red onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, diced
1/2-1 cup frozen corn
1 can tomato sauce, low or no sodium
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Saute the onion in olive oil until soft, add the garlic and the corn, stir well.  Add in the cooked beans with some broth, pour in the tomato sauce and allow to simmer.  Mix the spices together in a separate small bowl and add to the pot, stirring well to combine.  Serve with diced avocado and warm corn tortillas on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Input? Feedback? I'd love to hear from you!