Thursday, October 21, 2010

Spiced lentils and rice


This was comfort food for sure!  I wanted something warm and hearty that tasted like Fall to me, so last night, inspirited by the Morrocon Quinoa Pilaf I wrote about I made this.  Lentils, garbanzo beans, raisins and pistachios combine and simmer spiced up with curry, cardamom, tumeric, salt and pepper and then top brown basmati rice.  My kitchen smelled amazing last night!

1 cup brown basmati rice, cooked according to directions
1 cup lentils, rinsed
1 cup vegetable broth
1 cup water
1/2 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
1 can garbanzo beans, with juice
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup pistachios

Spice mixture:
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon tumeric
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1 teaspoon herbamare
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Combine in a small bowl and set aside.

Heat olive oil in a pan and saute the onions until soft and starting to brown, add garlic and continue.  Add the rinsed lentils to the pan and stir.  Pour in the combined liquids, water and broth and bring to a simmer.  When lentils are close to being cooked pour in the can of garbanzo beans and stir.  Add in the raisins and the spices and mix well.  Sprinkle on the spices, I used 1 1/2 teaspoons of the mix and saved the rest for another dish.  Before serving add in the pistachios and mix well.  Serve on top of the brown rice with steamed veggies or a salad on the side.

If you make it come tell me what you thought!  I love the feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Input? Feedback? I'd love to hear from you!