Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Sauted rainbow chard


I wanted a quick and simple side dish for dinner last night.  Looking into the fridge I knew I needed to use up the rainbow chard that was sitting there, I hate throwing away veggies!  This is a really quick side dish, it only took a couple of minutes of chopping and less than five minutes on the stove.  Rainbow chard is an excellent source of vitamins A, K and C while being extremely low in calories.  I've used it raw as a sandwich wrap, I've used it in smoothies, but this is the first time I cooked it up.

Lemon basil rainbow chard
1/2 red onion
6 stalks of chard, stem removed and sliced into 1" strips
basil, sliced thin
juice of 1/2 lemon
sea salt to taste.

Heat olive oil in the pan and add the red onion, saute until soft.  Add the basil and continue for another minute.  Add in the sliced chard and stir to combine.  Juice the lemon directly into the pan and stir well, season with sea salt and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Input? Feedback? I'd love to hear from you!