Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Moroccan Quinoa Pilaf

I found this recipe on The Whole Life Nutrition blog and was fascinated.   I love quinoa, particularly since it does not upset my child's tummy!  But to be honest, by itself it's a little boring.  This recipe called for all sorts of wonderful spices and additions and I knew I had to try it!

I precooked the quinoa over the weekend so it was on the table it well under 30 minutes.  And I roughly halved the recipe since I didn't need to serve 6 and while I wanted left overs I didn't want to be eating them all week!



  • 2-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 4 carrots, sliced into rounds
  • 1 cup raw almonds, chopped
  • 1/2 cup currants
  • 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons mild curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 1 teaspoon herbamare
  • 4 cups chopped kale
  • 4 to 5 cups cooked and cooled quinoa 
  • 1 small lemon, juiced

Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil, add chopped onion and saute four minutes.  Add sliced carrots and continue about 10 minutes more, allow the onions to cook but not to brown.  *I actually steamed the carrots on the side to appease certain finicky palates*  When the onions and carrots are ready, add the almonds, currants, spices and salt, saute for five minutes more, add the kale, best if you add it dripping wet, saute until kale is tender, about 5 more minutes.  Add the cooked quinoa and stir well to combine, add a little water if you need to.  Remove from heat and add lemon juice, taste and adjust seasonings.

LOVED this recipe!  The spices have a wonderful sweetness and then every once in a while you get a mouthful of the tart lemon juice, it's a great combination.  I look forward to making it again and again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Input? Feedback? I'd love to hear from you!