Stollen Inspired Holiday bread
Allyson at Manifest Vegan
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, soaked overnight in 1/4 cup dark rum and 1/4 teaspoon scraped vanilla bean
- 1 cup very warm non dairy milk
- 2 packets dry active yeast (or equivalent measured from the jar)
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup teff flour (I used millet flour since that's what I had on hand)
- 2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon agave, or sugar
- 2 tablespoon flaxseed meal mixed with 4 tablespoon water
- 1 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted pistachios
- confectioners sugar for dusting
The next day:
In a medium sized bowl, proof together yeast with the warm non dairy milk and sugar until frothy. Once frothy add in the olive oil, agave, prepared flasxeed meal and soaked cranberries, including the remaining rum.
In a separate, larger mixing bowl, sift together the sorghum, brown rice and teff flours with the potato starch, xanthan gum, salt, cardamom and cinnamon. Form a well in the center of the flours and pour in the yeast mixture, stirring well to make a thick batter. Fold in the chopped apricots and pistachios.
Grease a standard sized loaf pan and spread the batter into the pan, smoothing the top with a touch of water on your fingers if needed.
Cover lightly and allow to rise in a warm area for one hour.
Preheat the oven to 350 and bake for 50-60 minutes, until the top is dark golden brown.
Let cool slightly and then dust with (or douse in) confectioner's sugar.
Slice thinly and serve toasted, or as is.
Paulo declared me to be the world's best baker as he devoured his bread last night for dessert. Ahhh, sweet praise of my beloved baby boy makes it all worth while....