Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Spinach and butternut squash salad



I've had a big butternut squash staring at me, accusingly, on my counter for a while now.  I bought it on a whim, not sure what I was actually going to do with it.  It sat, forlorn, in my kitchen...until Sunday night.  One of my New Year's resolutions is to use what I buy, seems simple enough, but we waste a lot of food in this country.  Depending on who you ask, it's estimated that we throw out between 14-40% of the food we buy!  That's a lot of money being tossed out in Thursday's garbage pick up, and that's a lot of food wasted when so many are going hungry.  So last night I made good on my promise to myself about using what I buy and cooked the squash.

Spinach and squash salad
  • 1 butternut squash, cubed and steamed lightly (I used 1/2 of it and saved the other 1/2 for later)
  • 2 big handfuls of baby spinach
  • 1 cup grape tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
Steam the squash until fork tender and keep warm. 

Mix together the vinegar, oil and sugar. 

Put the spinach in a large serving dish, add the tomatoes and pine nuts, add in the squash and drizzle with the dressing, I used roughly 1/2 of my dressing, I didn't want the greens to drown.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Input? Feedback? I'd love to hear from you!