Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Creamy roasted potato soup



This dish met two of my New Year's resolutions, to make soup and to use what I buy.  I had an assortment of potatoes in my pantry and I didn't want them to go to waste so I decided I would experiment with a creamy roasted potato soup.

  • 2 sweet potatoes, scrubbed and diced
  • assorted fingerling potatoes, scrubbed and diced
  • 1/2 red onion, sliced
  • 5 cloves garlic, smashed
  • basil
  • 2 cups plain rice milk
  • 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
  • 1/4 cup coconut cream (chill a can of coconut milk in the refrigerator then open and scoop out the cream that separates to the top)
  • sea salt and pepper to taste
Lay the above on a roasting pan, drizzle with olive oil and season with sea salt.  Roast at 350 F until soft.  Transfer to a large pot and add the rice milk and 1 cup of the broth.  Bring to a simmer and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.  Add in the remaining cup of broth and the coconut cream and season with salt and pepper. Serve with a spinach salad.


2 comments:

  1. Yum-a-doo. I love potato soup. One of the best things going. I may omit the sweet potato and just add some yukon gold in its place. I wonder how that will work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my plan for next time, I just didn't want the sweets to go to waste. I liked it, but Rene is not crazy about sweet potato. I think next time I will use an assortment of spuds, some purples, reds, whites and see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete

Input? Feedback? I'd love to hear from you!