Friday, December 10, 2010

Orange noodles



This is based loosely on the recipe I found on Manifest Vegan for Orange sesame vermicelli.  I saw loosely because when it came time to make it I discovered that I did not actually have the sesame oil or rice wine vinegar called for in the recipe.  Plus when I pulled out my bottle of toasted sesame seeds I was surprised to find that they expired...in 2008.  Bummer.  I suspect that when I make it again and actually can follow the recipe I will like it even more.  In the meanwhile, this ended up pretty tasty, even had high marks from my carnivore husband, so I'm sharing the modified version.  (Click the link above for the original version and be prepared to be wowed by her fabulous photography as well!)

Orange rice noodles
Thin rice noodles, cooked according to directions
1 tsp gluten free tamari
zest of one orange
1/2 cup fresh orange juice (I used 1 1/2 oranges to get 1/2 cup juice but I was juicing by hand, I'm sure if I'd have hauled out my Breville I would have used less fresh fruit)
1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
3 tsp agave syrup
1/2 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp olive oil
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 carrots, julienned
1/2 package tempeh, thinly sliced
2 tbsp tamari
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp agave syrup
1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp water
dry roasted peanuts
Directions:
Combine 1 tsp tamari, orange zest, orange juice, grated ginger, 3 tsp agave syrup, cloves, 2 tsp olive oil and 1 tbsp vinegar. Add to julienned carrots and tempeh in pan and cook over medium heat until most of the liquid is absorbed, the tempeh is warmed through and the carrots are cooked.

In separate small bowl, mix together 1-2 tbsp tamari, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp agave syrup, 1/2 tbsp vinegar and 1 tbsp water.  Coat cooked rice noodles with this mixture.  Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.  Put the noodles into a large serving dish, top with the cooked carrots and tempeh and sprinkle dry roasted peanuts on top.  Serve warm.
I served this with sauteed portabella mushrooms and steamed bok choy dressed with a little lemon and umeboshi vinegar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Input? Feedback? I'd love to hear from you!