Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Peppermint cake



This is the first cake recipe I ever attempted after Paulo's diagnosis, I've long since lost the internet link where I found it.  I've made it three times now and I do think that it gets better, and easier, each time.  Gluten free cake is definitely different.  For Christmas dessert I opted for a thin layer cake with crushed peppermint candies between the layers and on top.

  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup sweet white sorghum flour
  • 1/4 cup tapioca flour
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 cup melted Earth Balance
  • 1/2 cup non dairy milk
  • 3 tablespoons vinegar
Preheat oven to 350 and prepare two round cake pans by greasing and lightly flouring them, set aside.

Mix together the dry ingredients and stir well, with a whisk, to combine. 

Combine non dairy milk and melted earth balance and stir into the dry ingredients.  Add vinegar, one tablespoon at a time, stirring well in between.

Pour half the batter into each pan and smooth out. 

Bake in the center of the oven for 25-27 minutes.  Remove and cool on a wire rack, place a plate on top of the pan, invert and remove from the plate to finish cooling. 

Frosting:
  • 1 cup vegan margarine, cold
  • 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
  • 4 cups confectioner's sugar
  • 2 tablespoons non dairy milk
Cream the margarine and peppermint extract until smooth, add in the confectioner's sugar, slowly, mixing well.  Add in the milk, a tablespoon at a time, until the desired consistency is reached. 

Recipe credit for the frosting goes to Allyson at Manifest Vegan.



Gluten free cake baking is not my strong point, it intimidates me, although to be honest cake baking of any kind intimidates me!  I've had some really, really good gluten full cakes-not baked by me mind you. I think 2011 will be the year of the cake!  I want to learn one awesome gluten free cake this year.  Don't get me wrong, I like this cake, I wouldn't share it with you if I didn't, but it just isn't the same.  I know that someone, somewhere, has perfected the process to create a gluten free cake that has the same texture and consistency as its gluten full cousin, I just need the recipe.  If you have the recipe, post it up in the comments or email it to me.  In the meantime I will begin my own search and my own baking experiments, stay tuned.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Input? Feedback? I'd love to hear from you!