Saturday, April 30, 2011

A new bread



I found a new bread recipe that I wanted to try.  I was intrigued by how low sugar it was, only 1 tablespoon of palm sugar, and that it used a flour I had not experimented with yet-garbanzo fava bean.

First things first I need to make up a batch of Amy's basic flour blend.

1 cup sorghum flour
1 cup garbanzo fava bean flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca starch

I doubled the ingredients so I would have enough to try her new bread recipe.  Plus now I have some in my fridge so I can try it out in other dishes, like waffles or muffins. 

Now, the bread!

3 cups Amy's basic flour blend
1 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1 tbsp palm sugar
1 packet dry instant yeast
1 1/4 cup warm water
2 extra large eggs
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 tsp kosher salt

Prepare a 9x5 loaf pan with spray and/or line with parchment paper.  Preheat the oven to 350F.

Whisk together the flour, gum, sugar and yeast.  Set aside.

Put the water, eggs, oil and vinegar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix until combined *I do not have a paddle attachment so I used my trusty spoon and elbow grease!*  Add the dry ingredients, except the salt, mix on low until incorporated.  Increase to medium high an mix for a minute.  Turn off, add the salt, mix for two minutes more.

Turn the batter into the prepared loaf pan, place in a warm place for an hour to rise until the loaf doubles in size.

Score the bread with a sharp, serrated knife if desired.  Bake for 45-55 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the loaf sound hollow when you tap it. Let it cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then turn the loaf pan on its side, scoot the loaf forward so the steam can escape, but leave it in the pan.  Let it cool for another 10-5 minutes then move to a wire rack to cool completely.

Paulo really enjoyed this bread, so did I.  It has a good flavor and a great texture to it.  I was a little put off by the beany smell of the flour but Amy was right, you can't smell that after it's cooked!  I will be adding this to my bread baking rotation for sure.

Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Input? Feedback? I'd love to hear from you!