Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Mac n "cheese" revisited

Paulo loves Mac N Cheese, the good old fashioned boxed kind.  To be honest, so do I.  It was the first thing I ever learned to "cook" for myself.  I have fond memories of standing in the kitchen, stirring the noodles, book in hand and of licking the bowl clean of that abnormally orange "cheese" sauce.  Since his allergy diagnosis, Kraft is off the menu. 

I attempted a cheese sauce a while ago, he seemed to like it but I just wasn't happy with it.  It took me a while to get back to the kitchen for a recipe reboot.  For it to be a safe food for Paulo I use quinoa or rice noodles, Daiya cheese, almond milk and Earth Balance spread.  The first attempt came out too sweet, this one was much better.  Added bonus, it even has a similar hue to the good old Kraft boxed mac!


Mac N "cheese" Paulo style
A Krista kitchen creation

2 tablespoons Earth Balance
3 tablespoons finely minced onion
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 tablespoon rice flour
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp white wine vinegar
2 tsp yellow mustard
1 cup daiya cheddar
2 cups quinoa elbow noodles

Cook the noodles as directed, being careful not to overcook them.

Saute the onion and garlic in the Earth Balance until soft. 

Add the rice flour and stir well to create a paste. 

Pour in the almond milk and bring to boil, add the seasonings and the daiya, stirring to melt the daiya.  Taste, adjust seasonings as needed.  When the daiya is melted, add the vinegar and mustard, mix well to combine.

Drain the noodles and return to the pot, pour the sauce over the warm pasta, and coat the noodles.

Paulo gave this an enthusiastic two thumbs up and is already asking me to make it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Input? Feedback? I'd love to hear from you!