Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Tofu breakfast scramble


I've been secretly living my life as a vegetarian for the past 6 weeks.  It started as a challenge for myself with the hope of winning a prize.  October was Vegetarian Awareness month and I found a link on the Vegetarian Times facebook page for a pledge campaign.  You could pledge to be vegetarian for a day, a week or a month.  If you pledged you were entered to win a prize.  The prize for pledging, and completing, a month was $1,000.  That was very tempting.  I was already curious and open to the idea of being a vegetarian, I'd get a bit grossed out by raw meat and if I stopped to think about what I was biting in to, so I took the plunge and signed on for a month.  October is over, I didn't win any money, but I still haven't eaten meat and frankly, I'm a bit scared to now, I'm not quite sure how my stomach would react. 

Along the way I started and finished The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone.  Great book, a lot of really useful information and a ton of fabulous vegan recipes.  I created this meal with inspiration from the book.

1 cup precooked brown rice,
1/2 cup extra firm tofu, I used my leftovers from a previous meal
mushrooms, chopped
zucchini, diced into 1/2 moons
onion, finely diced, as much or as little as you like
cherry tomatoes, halved
avocado, about 1/4 of a good sized avocado

Heat olive oil in a pan and saute the onion.  When soft add the mushrooms and zucchini, the tofu and rice.  Heat through.  Remove from heat and add the tomato and avocado. 

This is a great way to get more grains and vegetables into your day, I ate this for breakfast but it could also easily be a satisfying light lunch or filling dinner if you want to add a side of greens either raw or sauteed.  It might sound odd to eat onion and zucchini for breakfast but this was a really tasty alternative to eggs and I was very full and felt energized and ready for my day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Input? Feedback? I'd love to hear from you!