Friday, November 5, 2010

Savory corn waffles and sauteed cabbage



I love breakfast for dinner!  Tonight I wanted something that would compliment a sauteed cabbage recipe I wanted to experiment with.  The cabbage would have some honey in it so I went for a savory corn waffle.  I stared with my basic corn pancake recipe and modified from there.

I used water instead of rice milk and I added an extra bit of corn meal for extra crunchiness!  I made the full recipe then divided it into three dishes, one for me, one for Paulo and one for Rene.  To each I added 2 tablespoons good grainy mustard.  To Paulo's I also added shredded soy cheese and diced ham.  To Rene's I added shredded mozzarella, diced ham and sliced pepperocinis.  To mine, I added just shredded soy cheese and pepperocinis.

The cabbage:
1/2 head of cabbage (I think mine was savoy, napa would work too)
2 apple
1 tablespoon honey
1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
1/4 cup dried cranberries.

Toast the walnuts in a dry pan, set aside.

Core and thinly slice the cabbage, rinse in a colander and set aside.

Core and thinly slice the apples, set aside.

Combine the honey and vinegar.

Heat olive oil in a deep pan, add the cabbage and toss well.  Cover and allow to cook for a minute.  Add the onion and the honey/vinegar sauce, toss well to coat, cover the pot.  Finally add the cranberries and walnuts, taste and add salt if desired.

Cook the waffles and serve along side the sauteed cabbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Input? Feedback? I'd love to hear from you!