This week, I am enjoying two kinds of hummus, prepared by my own two hands. The first is a raw cashew hummus from Karina at Gluten Free Goddess. It is unbelievable! I could seriously eat the whole batch in one sitting and not feel guilty....well maybe a little.
To a high powered blender add the following:
- 1 cup soaked raw cashews, drained
- 1 tablespoon raw organic tahini (I will admit to buying plain old tahini!)
- Juice form 1 fresh lemon, or to taste (I used 1 1/2 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder (omitted from mine because I forgot to buy more!)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- sea salt to taste
Store in the fridge and serve with fresh vegetables, enjoy! It's so good I eat it plain.
My second hummus chilling in my fridge is a lemon basil hummus. To my Vita Mix (thanks DAD!!) I added the following:
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (canned is fine, I used my pressure cooker and cooked them for about one hour)
- 1/4 cup of the chickpea broth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 3 garlic cloves
- Juice of 1 1/2 lemon
- Fresh basil leaves, about 1/4 to 1/2 cup whole leaves, I really love basil!
- Sea salt to taste
Blend on high, taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Chill in the fridge and enjoy with fresh vegetables or as a sandwich spread.