Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tempeh waffle sandwiches


What's a girl to do when she just can't bear the thought of cooking dinner on a Friday night?  Power up the waffle iron!

To my very basic favorite waffle recipe I added a few tweaks and sandwiched sauteed tempeh with spinach, tomato and red onion-the boys had regular old meat, their loss!

Waffle sandwiches
a Krista kitchen creation

1 1/4 cup gluten free flour, I use Bob's
1 1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
2 tablespoons vegan sour cream
1-2 tablespoons dijon mustard
1 tablespoon olive oil

Mix well and cook according to directions and fill with your favorite sandwich fixuns'.  This was a quick, cheap and easy Friday night dinner on a night when I seriously stood staring at the deli counter on my weekly grocery trip hoping to find something that I could just bring home and reheat.  That presents a challenge when one family member needs to be wheat/dairy/egg free and another member (me) isn't eating meat!  Rene would happily eat his way through the New Seasons deli but there wasn't much that was safe for Paulo or appealing to me.  Fortunately these waffle sandwiches were a big hit with all three of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Input? Feedback? I'd love to hear from you!