Monday, March 21, 2011

Irish(ish) soda bread


First, I will admit I'm not sure I've ever actually eaten real Irish soda bread, I might have but I couldn't say with any certainty.  That little tid bit aside I will say, this is darn good bread! 

This is another of Allyson's recipes from Manifest Vegan.  I saw it in the days preceding St. Patrick's day and I knew it would be a perfect dessert.  Not too sweet and easy to make on a busy work night-two of my favorite things.  This bread is a snap to put together, I had everything on hand already, or made very minor adjustments, and it smelled divine.  Try it, you'll love it!


Allyson's Irish-ish Soda Bread
Manifest Vegan

•2 1/2 cups sorghum flour
•3/4 cup potato starch
•1/2 cup finely ground brown rice flour
•1/4 cup sweet white rice flour (I did not have sweet rice flour, I used millet flour)
•3 tbsp organic sugar
•1 tsp sea salt
•2 tsp baking soda
•1 tsp cinnamon
•2 tsp xanthan gum
•4 tbsp vegan margarine, cold
•1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
•1 1/2 cups almond milk (I used the rice milk I had on hand)
•2 tbsp flaxseed meal mixed with 4 tbsp water
•1 tbsp coconut cream + extra for brushing
•1/2 cup raisins
•1 tbsp corn syrup or agave mixed with 1 tbsp warm water

Instructions

1.Preheat oven to 350 °F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.

2.In large mixing bowl, combine sorghum flour, brown rice flour, potato starch, sweet white rice flour, salt, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and xanthan gum.

3.Sift together really well to combine all ingredients together.

4.Use a pastry blender to cut in the margarine until it disappears into the flour mixture.

5.Mix the almond milk with the vinegar and set aside to curdle, about 5 minutes. Combine with prepared flaxseed meal and 2 tbsp coconut cream.

6.Gradually incorporate almond milk mixture with flour mixture into mixing bowl until a soft dough is formed. Gently fold in raisins and shape dough into a round loaf.

7.Use your hands to pat the dough into place on the baking sheet, creating a slight dome shape. The dough will be sticky, and that’s okay.

8.Use a sharp knife to cut an x in the middle of the loaf.

9.Brush lightly with coconut cream and bake in preheated oven about 45-50 minutes, or until it reaches a deep golden brown and makes a “thunk” sound when tapped. Gently brush with corn syrup mixture and allow to bake the remaining 5-10 minutes. Essentially you are trying to create a shiny glaze on the loaf just before pulling it out of the oven.

10.Do not let the total amount of baking time exceed 60 minutes. This particular loaf is prone to drying out if baked too long… so keep a watchful eye on it around the 50 minute mark, and for extra measure, go ahead and stick a knife through the middle to see if it comes out clean. It should be nice and baked through at about 55 minutes.

11.Remove from oven and let cool briefly before slicing.

Paulo preferred it smothered in honey, I personally loved it with some vegan butter.  So, so, so good!

However you like your bread I hope you like this one as much as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Input? Feedback? I'd love to hear from you!