Saturday, April 6, 2013

Meatballs with extra veggies

Sometimes you just have to shred it, the veggies that is! 
 
 
If you're looking for a way to sneak a few extra veggies into your child's tummy this could be your new favorite recipe.  My son is 8, he's a fairly adventurous eater, he's especially fond of spicy foods but the only way he'll happily munch on kale is when I make kale chips-I happily munch on those too!  Me?  I love kale...never in a million years did I think I'd say that!   I started to enjoy more variety in my leafy greens when I was drinking green juice or smoothies daily.  Winter for me is a natural time to take a break from those tasty beverages and I've been experimenting with other ways to get those important leafy greens in my body.  These days I'm happy to eat sautéed kale, instead of blended, with my breakfast!  I'm always on the lookout though for ways to up my little dude's veg consumption.  He'll eat salad like a champ and loves his steamed broccoli and carrots, but he's been reluctant to come to the green side and embrace kale as wholeheartedly as I have!  These little meatballs might change all that!
 
Veggie filled meatballs
1.5 pounds ground beef
4-5 large mushrooms
1/4 red onion
2 large handfuls baby kale
1/2 cup parsley
3 garlic gloves
 
Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
 
In a food processor blitz the mushrooms until they're tiny, but don't go too far or you'll end up with mushroom paste!  Pour the mushroom pieces into a large bowl.  Repeat with the onion, empty to the bowl.  Finally combine the kale, parsley and garlic and process-sort of like making a pesto!  Dump that into the bowl and combine with the ground beef.  Create small, bite sized, meatballs and bake until done-20 or so minutes.  Serve with homemade mayo and paleo ketchup for dipping!
 
When I tucked my son into bed last night I asked him if he could identify the veggies that were in the meatballs.  He took a few stabs at it, because of the green tint he thought broccoli.  When I told him it was kale and parsley he declared me a genius!  He knows they're good for him but let's face it, kale is an acquired taste!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Input? Feedback? I'd love to hear from you!